[python] set rpath in setup.cfg

dtk dtk at gmx.de
Thu Oct 13 00:59:09 PDT 2011

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:09:47 +0300, Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila at iki.fi>
wrote:
> On Thu 13 Oct 2011 09:34, Jameson Graef Rollins
> <jrollins at finestructure.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:12:03 +0200, dtk <dtk at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> in my experience, it tends to cause awkward side effects that are hard
>>> debug, the main problem being that it overrides all default paths and
is
>>> hard to target at a single problematic application.
>
> I also have local notmuch installations (3 of them); notmuch command
> (among others)  are wrapped in a shell script which setups environment
> variables like:
>
> PATH=/path/to/iroot/bin:$PATH
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/iroot/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
> export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

True. Actually, I have expanded PATH and PYTHONPATH to include the local
installations, so all that's missing is the path to the .so for the python
bindings, so

~~~snip~~~
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/dtk/.local/lib/ alot
~~~snip~~~

works perfectly; still I find it rather unelegant to have to bother about
linker paths at runtime. I feel making the appropriate settings at build
time would be way nicer! Of course you can write a wrapper script for that,
but since there is RPATH (and I just don't know how to set it in Python's
setup.py), I really don't feel like wrapping each of my bins manually :/

tx
dtk