Fix for emacs 24

richardmurri at gmail.com richardmurri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:47:44 PDT 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:46:27 -0300, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> Thanks for sending a patch. I'm sure we need lots of help to get notmuch
> working well with emacs24. Some comments about your patch
>
> - It would be nice to have a bit more informative single line summary to
>   start the patch.
>
> - I don't really understand from the long commit message what problem
>   this fixes. I take it some function outside of notmuch is calling
>   notmuch-mua-mail?
>
> - The convention on the notmuch list is to use "git send-email" if you
>   can. This makes it easier to apply patches.  Any discussion not meant
>   to be part of the commit message can go after the --- at the end of the
>   commit message (and I admit that isn't very obvious).
>
> Thanks again, and welcome to the team ;)

Here is the following snippet from the emacs changelog for emacs 24:

** `compose-mail' now accepts an optional 8th arg, RETURN-ACTION, and
passes it to the mail user agent function.  This argument specifies an
action for returning to the caller after finishing with the mail.
This is currently used by Rmail to delete a mail window.

compose-mail is run when creating a new email.  It breaks horribly
without a spot for the optional argument, however most mail agents don't
use the argument at all.  By just including the extra argument, most
everything works well with notmuch in emacs 24.