gmail syncing sort of working

Alex Botero-Lowry alex.boterolowry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:31:36 PDT 2011

I finally got around to working on it and over the last two days have gotten
two-way gmail syncing with labels working.

The list of caveats is much longer than the list of details:

1) only tested with 100 messages, which is hard coded
2) doesn't update UIDs of messages on disk, though it mostly avoids
situations where that would be an issue
3) Can only do a full, scan every file sync, but it assumes that message
content is immutable so only adds new messages
4) Doesn't support syncing new/deleted messages from notmuch -> gmail (not
sure this is worth the trouble)
5) Quoting issues, i'm sure.

The basic approach is to get the difference between a the last sync and the
current notmuch state, sync the diff of labels to gmail, than we request
UID, X-GM-MSGID, Message-ID, and X-GM-LABELS from gmail for every message,
if it lacks a message-id we build a notmuch-sha1- one, hopefully that
approach won't change, we then write new messages to disk by using the
filename GMID=...,UID=.... to store that information, and then sync the
labels (with a mapping for special labels like sent, etc), then we look for
messages that have changed in gmail but not changed locally, and sync their
labels.

I'm sure it won't work for you, but you might try it. :)

source is at http://alexbl.net/~alexbl/imapsync.py

p.s. I also ran into an issue with the notmuch python bindings where I had
to wrap every c_void_p in POINTER() or it would segfault for any method that
tried to use a pointer. Also the sed command that tries to build notmuch.sym
doesn't work on freebsd, i changed it to work, but i'm pretty sure it won't
work on linux anymore. :) I wonder if using ctags might actually work for
that.

alex