Undo tag operation?

Olivier Schwander olivier.schwander at chadok.info
Wed Jul 20 13:02:47 PDT 2011

Le 20 Jul 2011 09:48, Jameson Graef Rollins a écrit:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:17:37 +0200, Alex Ghitza <aghitza at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just inadvertently removed the "todo" tag from all my "todo"-tagged
> > emails (about 60 of them going back several months, so I doubt I can
> > find them all again in my email haystack).  So I have a few questions:
>
> Hey, Alex.  This won't help you now, and doesn't really answer your
> questions either, but you should periodically back up your tags with the
> "dump" command.  If you had a dumpfile backup of the tags you could
> restore with "restore".  hth (for the future).

I wonder if it may be possible to create a journal of all the operations
on tags: a file where all the changes are registered, with a timestamp.

Two benefits:
 - going through the history to undo mistakes
 - being able to build a diff of two journals in order to synchronize db on multiple
   hosts

A drawback may be to slow down the changes on tags, since we add one more write
each time a tag is added or removed.

Olivier