Undo tag operation?

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Wed Jul 20 12:51:54 PDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:48:53 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/mixed
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:17:37 +0200, Alex Ghitza <aghitza at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just inadvertently removed the "todo" tag from all my "todo"-tagged
> > emails (about 60 of them going back several months, so I doubt I can
> > find them all again in my email haystack).  So I have a few questions:
>
> Hey, Alex.  This won't help you now, and doesn't really answer your
> questions either, but you should periodically back up your tags with the
> "dump" command.  If you had a dumpfile backup of the tags you could
> restore with "restore".  hth (for the future).

I generally run my notmuch commands through notmuch-retry.  See
http://notmuch.198994.n3.nabble.com/PATCH-Add-shell-script-notmuch-retry-td417192.html

That could be easily amended to log tag commands.  You could then
restore from your most recent dump and replay all the tag commands since
that dump, minus the offending command.

Not a perfect solution, but it would work.  Maybe I'll build it if I
encounter some free time.