[python] querystrings as unicode literals?

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:37:00 PDT 2011

Hi!
Something strange goes on when I use unicode literals as querystrings:
Database().create_query(u'teststring') yields different results than
Database().create_query('teststring')..

Now it should not be a problem to decode the string to whatever encoding
is used by notmuch/xapian internally using 'teststring'.encode('utf8')
for example. But can I reliably expect all strings in the index to be valid utf8?

At any rate, I think this conversion should be made from inside the bindings.
A query should return the same results for querystrings as string- and unicode literals.
Any thoughts?
/p