Preventing the user shooting themself in the foot

Austin Clements amdragon at mit.edu
Wed Jun 29 16:53:03 PDT 2011

I've spent embarrassingly little time in the emacs UI, so my opinions on
this should be taken lightly, but I feel like all of the bindings are of the
form "if W, do X and Y, otherwise do Z" and, as a result, I'm actively
afraid of what's going to happen when I hit a key. I would much prefer
bindings with simple, highly predictable behavior. I'm sure there's some
workflow for which these contextual, compound bindings are fantastic, but
other workflows wind up fighting against them.

I don't have a specific proposal in mind, but Gmail's bindings seem like a
good model to emulate (the actions, at least; I've never been too fond of
the specific key choices).