[python] segfaults at Message.get_date

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 16 14:54:39 PDT 2011

Hi all!
First off: Thanks Sebastian for your recent work on the python bindings.
It all makes a little bit more sense now without the __len__ and all.
As some of you might have read on the IRC channel, I'm facing really
strange behaviour with Message.get_date() which unfortunately,
I cannot reproduce reliably: I get it on one machine, not on the other,
despite using the same distribution (ubuntu natty - standard python
install), and notmuch and bindings from master on both boxes:

Unfortunately, as it segfaults, I don't get a stacktrace here.
The line that seems to cause the segfault is this one:
https://github.com/pazz/notmuch-gui/blob/master/alot/db.py#L181

To explain the circumstances in my code:
I crete these alot.Message objects by recursively calling
notmuch.Message.get_replies at line 153 in the same file.
The error occurs only at recursion depth 1, so to reproduce
one needs to open a thread with at least one reply.

Did anyone experience something similar? It would help if someone
could try and run my code and report if it works for him/her:
 git clone https://github.com/pazz/notmuch-gui
 python alot/init.py # to run directly
 open a large enough thread by hitting enter

Just to be clear: I don't expect anybody to debug my broken code.
I think it might help to report segfaults, as it looks like it is
a problem with the C-lib or the bindings.
Of course, I'd be grateful for any pointers (pun not intended *caught*)
or helpful hints to debug this.

thanks,
/patrick