tag sharing [was: Re: release-candidate/0.6 redux]

Jesse Rosenthal jrosenthal at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 6 10:20:00 PDT 2011

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:28:13 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> I've been thinking about this more and it really seems we need a way to
> just share tags.  What if we had a way to export all the tags for a set
> of messages as a notmuch dump file, that could just be piped into
> notmuch to modify tags?  This would be a great way for lots of people to
> keep tags synced on a set of messages.

After a conversation with David last year about bug-tracking, I worked
up a rough python-based prototype of this. It worked in terms of
namespaces, so Carl could associate the namespace "public" with a list
of tags he publishes to a http-accessable location. And you could
associate the namespace "cworth" with those same tags.

He types `whatevercommand push public` and all tags "public.*" go to an
config-associated URL.

You type `whatevercommand pull cworth` and the tags come down from that
URL as "cworth.*".

So what he has as "public.to-push" comes down to your notmuch as
"cworth.to-push".

It's available here:

    http://commonmeasure.org/~jkr/git/nm-remote.git

See these emails for more (but note that the repo url has changed to the
above).

    id:"m1k4rkkchy.fsf at watt.gilman.jhu.edu"
    id:"m1hbmokbxj.fsf at watt.gilman.jhu.edu"

There were some details and inherent ambiguities about conflict
resolution, and the above emails explain how I dealt with them.

Note also that it uses python's configparser, which will overwrite your
config -- which means it'll get rid of your comments. So if you use any
of the config-writing commands, make sure you back up your config first.

Best,
Jesse