tag sharing [was: Re: release-candidate/0.6 redux]

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Jun 6 09:28:13 PDT 2011

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 05:17:27 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> Hopefully, someone will provide me with a good way to publish my queue
> soon, ("notmuch search --output=html" ?), and then communication like
> this will be a bit easier. ;-)

I've been thinking about this more and it really seems we need a way to
just share tags.  What if we had a way to export all the tags for a set
of messages as a notmuch dump file, that could just be piped into
notmuch to modify tags?  This would be a great way for lots of people to
keep tags synced on a set of messages.

The main difficulty (seems to me) would be the sharing of -tags.  You
wouldn't want the absence of a tag on a message in the tag file to mean
that the tag should be removed.  So we would need to represent both
+tags and -tags in the dump file [0].

It seems a little crazy, but would it be possible to store -tags in the
database somehow?

jamie.

[0] This would actually help with tags applied when the message is
indexed as well, like "signed" and "encrypted", since it would allow for
tagging messages that were indexed before the "signed"/"encrypted"
tagging was a feature.