When will we have our next release?

Xavier Maillard xavier at maillard.im
Sat Jun 4 07:19:54 PDT 2011

Hi Carl,

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 15:56:42 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 14:39:13 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> > Can we set a target date for 0.6 release?  So we'll all start feeling
> > really bad if we miss it?
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't mind doing strict time-based releases with something
> like the following:
>
> 	* We schedule a release period (once per month?)

That sounds reasonable to me. You could even do it less frequently
-i.e. every 2 month.

> 	* At the beginning of the safety period, package up the head
>           of the notmuch tree and upload to Debian experimental and
>           anywhere else similar.

I like this idea. I already have slackware packages for notmuch and
that's the way I prefer testing notmuch since I am not really
comfortable with the git machinery (I wish I could do something for
notmuch though).

> So switching to a more strictly time-based cycle can definitely help,
> (so many other projects use time-based releases very successfully).

+1. THat's pretty frustating to contemplate all those patches/source
code sent to this list and not being able to "test" them :)

Whatever we choose, keep up the good work guys !

/Xavier