a python terminal gui?

Mueen Nawaz mueen at nawaz.org
Fri May 20 18:42:20 PDT 2011

Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at googlemail.com>
writes:

> * use libraries wherever possible. Therefore, instead of
>   programming raw curses, I go for the urwid toolkit: It's a bit like gtk,
>   you create a bunch of widgets and put them together in a tree-like structure
>   and the library handles redrawing the screen and redirecting key presses etc.
>   I'm aware of some arguments against urwid (PEP8 compatibility, slow py3k awareness),
>   but consider the advantages:

Not too long ago, I felt likewise and even looked at urwid for precisely
this goal. Unfortunately, real life interfered, and continues to do so,
so it may be a long time before I can fiddle with it.

This, IMO, is much needed. I personally think I have most of the things
I need (as opposed to want) working in Emacs, and as an Emacs user, I'd
like to stick to Emacs.

However, I know Python, and don't know elisp - so it'd be great to have
a Python interface. If there's a feature I want, I could one day try
implementing it in that interface, show to everyone here how cool it is,
and hopefully some soul will feel deprived and port it to the Emacs
interface ;-)

I'd encourage you to post this on the Wiki on the notmuch web site.

On a side note, I see that someone created an entry for notmuch on Open
Hatch (openhatch.org). However, no requests for features has been
added. I really don't know how effective Open Hatch is, but Carl or
someone else may want to consider utilizing it.

(For those still confused, Open Hatch is a web site that encourages
people to contribute to open source projects - via code, via docs, via
web maintenance, etc. It seems to integrate with existing bug tracking
sites, and has a bunch of other cool features as well. You can see their
Google Tech Talk at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt3yPm7mKEc)