(auto-)tagging sent messages

Xavier Maillard xavier at maillard.im
Mon Apr 18 06:22:37 PDT 2011

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:44:06 +0200, Michael Radziej <mir at spieleck.de> wrote:
> Hi Florian!
>
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:03:12 +0200, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
> > Further, for certain mails I sent (like this one ) I would like a
> > WAITING tag (or similar) in order to indicate that I am waiting for an
> > answer. Currently I set this manually. Could this be achieved through
> > some indicators via message mode or similar means? e.g.:
>
> I use a X-Wait header (like X-Wait: 2, meaning to wait for 2 days). If
> there is no activity in the thread within time, it receives additional tags
> "late" and "inbox". If an answer to a waiting mail arrives, it receives a tag "expected".

I like your workflow very much.

Do you think this could be done directly in a SIEVE script ? The more I
use notmuch, the more I think many things could be done directly at the
IMAP/SIEVE stage. Am I alone thinking this way ? I mean, today, I put
things in specific folders, etc. Notmuch is almost exclusively used with
search phrases like: folder:notmuch and tag:unread.

I am not SIEVE expert but I am pretty sure it can do way more things
than just dispatch messages into folders.

/Xavier