Hiding HTML mime-parts and/or scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Tue Feb 22 17:13:26 PST 2011

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> On 02/22/2011 02:42 PM, Albin Stjerna wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:33:56 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>>> i think the correct solution would have nothing to do with text/html vs
>>> text/plain, but would have to do with whether the message is
>>> multipart/mixed or multipart/alternative.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing that out — I see my poor knowledge of MIME is showing.
>>
>> Of course, that sounds like the correct thing to do. However, I'm
>> looking for a (reasonably) quick fix, and what you're suggesting sounds
>> like a re-design of at least a part of the MUA. Isn't there an easier way?
>

> this is how i like it, though it appears i'm only able to save the
> text/html part to a file, rather than force it through whatever html
> renderer notmuch would otherwise use (even with M-x
> notmuch-show-view-all-mime-parts, which surprises me a bit).

The "Display Customization" section in the emacs/mime info pages might
also be interesting.  i.e. at the moment I use
mm-discouraged-alternatives like this (via Gnus):

  (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
        '("text/html" "text/richtext")
        mm-automatic-display
        (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

Though it's been so long since I set that up, I can't describe exactly
what it does off the top of my head, but I originally set it up to help
quash the display of html alternatives.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org