Hiding HTML mime-parts and/or scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Feb 22 11:59:03 PST 2011

On 02/22/2011 02:42 PM, Albin Stjerna wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:33:56 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>> i think the correct solution would have nothing to do with text/html vs
>> text/plain, but would have to do with whether the message is
>> multipart/mixed or multipart/alternative.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out — I see my poor knowledge of MIME is showing.
>
> Of course, that sounds like the correct thing to do. However, I'm
> looking for a (reasonably) quick fix, and what you're suggesting sounds
> like a re-design of at least a part of the MUA. Isn't there an easier way?

I'm running the crypto branch (from jrollins, available at
git://finestructure.net/notmuch ), which incorporates dme's multipart
MIME overhaul.

For me, messages from gmail users show up like this:

--------------------
[ multipart/alternative ]
[ text/plain ]
 blah blah

[ text/html (not shown) ]

this is how i like it, though it appears i'm only able to save the
text/html part to a file, rather than force it through whatever html
renderer notmuch would otherwise use (even with M-x
notmuch-show-view-all-mime-parts, which surprises me a bit).

	--dkg