Hiding HTML mime-parts and/or scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Feb 22 10:33:56 PST 2011

On 02/22/2011 01:19 PM, Albin Stjerna wrote:
> As far as I can tell, there's two solutions to this:
> 1. not showing the html mime part if there's also a plain-text part or
> 2. teaching notmuch's citation-scrubbing feature (hook?) to recognize
>    citations in html as well, most urgently gmail's.

i think the correct solution would have nothing to do with text/html vs
text/plain, but would have to do with whether the message is
multipart/mixed or multipart/alternative.

for multipart/alternative messages, a reasonable MUA will select exactly
one of the alternatives for presentation (possibly allowing the user to
switch to other variants).

for multipart/mixed messages, a reasonable MUA should attempt to render
all parts of the message (though it may choose to avoid rendering parts
marked with Content-Disposition: attachment, making these parts
available to the user for saving locally or rendering, at the user's
option).

	--dkg