Hiding HTML mime-parts and/or scrubbing (gmail's) HTML-based citation

Albin Stjerna albin at eval.nu
Tue Feb 22 10:19:52 PST 2011

Hello, notmuch list!

I've noticed many email clients (gmail most notably) send all mails—even
when strictly unnecessary—both as html and as plain text MIME, making
them harder to read in standard (Emacs) notmuch—you get each message
two times!

Also, the html view doesn't handle citing very well, which is really bad
in the gmail case, since gmail encourages top-posting and ever-growing
stacks of citation through its design. And those aren't fun to scroll
through, to say the least. Also, I've seen a lot of encoding problems
with the html mime parts (umlauts replaced with »?« for example).

However, I do not want to hide /all/ html mime parts, since I'm
following a lot of RSS feeds through sluk, which sends them as (only)
html email (and no plain text).

As far as I can tell, there's two solutions to this:
1. not showing the html mime part if there's also a plain-text part or
2. teaching notmuch's citation-scrubbing feature (hook?) to recognize
   citations in html as well, most urgently gmail's.

Have any of these two solutions been attempted by anyone?

Thanks in advance,
 Albin

P.S. I'm sorry I first sent this email from the wrong address, I think
I've cancelled my waiting for moderator approval now.