Build system

Thomas Schwinge thomas at schwinge.name
Tue Feb 8 00:55:57 PST 2011

Hallo!

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:14:39 +1000, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:28:08 +0100, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at schwinge.name> wrote:
> > Still, my point holds that (unless someone is willing to spend time on
> > this, of course) we shouldn't try to replicate the Autotools, but instead
> > keep our system as simple as it currently is, and thus just have it fail
> > if configured outside of the source tree.
>
> Oh, I agree that if we don't support this then we should give the user a
> nice error message. But I think it will actually be very easy to add
> support for this. (And at this point, I think the notmuch build system
> is something that other projects could emulate if they want. I don't
> think it's too crazt).

Is the testsuite also easy to convert to VPATH style builds?  (I don't
know, but would expect some difficulties.)

And, another thing I just noticed: I had the source tree configured with
--prefix=[something].  Now I updated the sources, re-ran make, and saw
this:

    $ make

    Note: Calling ./configure with no command-line arguments. This is often fine,
          but if you want to specify any arguments (such as an alternate prefix
          into which to install), call ./configure explicitly and then make again.
          See "./configure --help" for more details.

    ./configure
    Welcome to Notmuch, a system for indexing, searching and tagging your email.
    [...]

My --prefix=[something] is gone.  (At least the build system warns about
this.)  But it's another issue that other build systems already have
solved.  (And, I probably wouldn't have expected that to do the right
thing if the configure script / build system wouldn't try to be like GNU
Autoconf.)

Grüße,
 Thomas