Folder-based searching

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Tue Jan 18 11:54:29 PST 2011

Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> writes:

> This works in a similar way to 'subject:"some phrase"', (though more
> people seem to be asking about these details for folder: than have ever
> asked for subject:).

I'm not surprised.  Imagine:

  /misc
  /debian/misc

If I understand correctly, right now you'd have to say

  folder:misc and not folder:debian/misc

which is not nearly as handy as

  folder:^misc

and at first, a lot of people may not even realize that they need the
"and not" clauses.

I'd be tempted to consider making folder: searches rooted by default.  I
wonder how often people really want "all folders named misc"?

> That will require a little care to get some additional terms indexed to
> support the rooting, then the in-development custom query parser to
> allow mapping symbols like '^' and '$' to these new symbols.

Sounds good.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning