About the json output and the number of results shown.

Sebastian Spaeth Sebastian at sspaeth.de
Fri Jan 14 05:48:38 PST 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:46:29 +0100, Christophe-Marie Duquesne <chm.duquesne at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alternatively, you could use the python bindings to libnotmuch and call
> > the functions directly. You could do that in a unthreaded or threaded
> > fashion...
>
> I've had a look to the python libnotmuch documentation. My problem
> with this API is that, unless I did not read it correctly, if I use
> one of its functions in a threaded fashion, I still have to wait for
> this function to finish until I get results. When using the command
> line tool, I can process the text as it gets printed on stdout, and I
> have data to show to the user even though notmuch has not finished to
> output it...

Well, you have to wait until the "search_messages()" function returns
and once it does you can output text as you go, by iterating through the
threads/mails. I am not sure that the command line client is any faster
as that with it's interactive output.

But I haven't investigated the performance closely.

Sebastian