[ANN] notmuch-deliver

Thomas Schwinge thomas at schwinge.name
Tue Jan 11 03:46:38 PST 2011

Hallo!

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:50:46 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:01:34 +0300, Ali Polatel <alip at exherbo.org> wrote:
> > notmuch-deliver is a maildir delivery tool for notmuch mail indexer. It
> > reads from standard input, delivers the mail to the specified maildir
> > and adds it to the notmuch database. This is meant as a convenient
> > alternative to running notmuch new after mail delivery.
>
> Thanks for sharing this, Ali.
>
> What's the best way to advertise this to potential users?

I recently put a description and link onto the notmuch web pages.

> Should we include a separate utils directory in the notmuch repository
> with auxiliary programs like this?

I wouldn't do so.  But that is not a very strong opinion of mine.

In general, I like it if I see a repository containing one specific tool,
and that one cleanly interfaces through specified interfaces with another
tool.  These two things are no longer as cleanly visible once
notmuch-deliver was part of the notmuch repository.

> Or should we implement this functionality within the notmuch binary
> itself?

That's another option, of course.  (And a separate discussion.)

> I'm open to suggestions.
>
> If nothing else, the notmuchmail.org web page should grow a section to
> point to auxiliary programs like this that users might find helpful.

I'm working on that (and other parts of the web pages) as I go on with
exploring the ``notmuch world''.

I'll also take the liberty to put stuff from the mailing list or IRC
discussions into web pages, for we have to document this notmuch beast
;-), and it's better to have a generic place to refer people to, instead
of discussing the same things more than once.

If someone disagrees with any of this, I'm open to discuss these items.

Grüße,
 Thomas