notmuchsync: handling of the deleted tag

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sun Nov 14 19:03:56 PST 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:23:57 -0800, Jeff Richards <jrichards at revenuewire.com> wrote:
> Having just switched from notmuchsync the synchronizing power of 0.5 and
> being as how I'm missing the pruning feature I gave this a try and found
> that I ended up with rm complaining that the file name length being too
> long or simply file not found.  Seems like the
> xargs -0 rm
> portion was choking as all the file names were being contcatenated.
> Perhaps the null character line ending is missing?  At this point I
> haven't investigated further.

I think the 'print0' might have been a mistake on Carl's part.  I don't
think that option is actually supported by notmuch.  In which case xargs
-0 isn't going to work as expected because there are no null characters
in the input stream to use as delimiters.

> So for anyone else who is stuck adjusting the one liner like
> notmuch search --output=files tag:deleted -print0 | xargs -d '\n' rm

This is working because the input stream is newline delimited.  So I
think the -print0 is confusing the issue.

jamie.