notmuchsync: handling of the deleted tag

Jeff Richards jrichards at revenuewire.com
Sun Nov 14 17:23:57 PST 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:21:41 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> This one is a simple one-liner as of notmuch 0.4:
> >
> >     notmuch search --output=files tag:deleted -print0 | xargs -0 rm

Having just switched from notmuchsync the synchronizing power of 0.5 and
being as how I'm missing the pruning feature I gave this a try and found
that I ended up with rm complaining that the file name length being too
long or simply file not found.  Seems like the
xargs -0 rm
portion was choking as all the file names were being contcatenated.
Perhaps the null character line ending is missing?  At this point I
haven't investigated further.

So for anyone else who is stuck adjusting the one liner like
notmuch search --output=files tag:deleted -print0 | xargs -d '\n' rm

worked for me.

PS Thanks to Sebastian and Carl and everyone else who has built notmuch
I'm really enjoying using it! :)

Jeff

> Uhh, that is a neat line, and a neat trick. (is it on the emacstips page
> already? ;-))

> Sebastian
Non-text part: application/pgp-signature