notmuchsync: handling of the deleted tag

Dirk Hohndel hohndel at infradead.org
Fri Nov 12 13:04:16 PST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:30:36 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:27:34 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > So, what we probably need here is for the user to be able to configure
> > the mapping and in a fairly sophisticated way:
> >
> > 	'R' on _any_ filename  -> "replied" tag gets added
> > 	'T' on _all_ filenames -> "deleted" tag gets added
> > 	'S' on _any_ filename  -> "unread" tag gets removed
> > So maybe something like that?
>
> Maybe, but that sounds like a horribly complex configuration, in which
> the user has to really think through what he wants (and can still make
> blunders). :)

> Right, you pushed the ball in my court. The only problem is that -- with
> the arrival of maildir sync -- I lost my motivation to work on
> notmuchsync. Seriously, what does notmuchsync still provide that notmuch
> cannot do? I wonder if I shouldn't stick a "deprecated" warning on it.

Please don't! I use it all the time:

I use it to archive mail that I don't want on an imap server any more,
but in a local maildir. Can't do that with notmuch.

I use it to prune mail that has the deleted tag. Again not something
that notmuch supports.

So please don't stop supporting your very important (to me) tool!

/D