Strings vs symbols in notmuch-search-result-format

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 11 17:34:50 PST 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:37:55 -0500, Rob Browning <rlb at defaultvalue.org> wrote:
> I've started to look at the elisp, and wondered why
> notmuch-search-result-format expected strings rather than symbols for
> the field names, i.e.:
> Perhaps there's a good argument for strings, but if not, the latter is
> more idiomatic, and a bit more efficient too (comparisons will just be
> pointer compares (via assq) rather than something like a strcmp (assoc)).

I'm not sure that this is my code. But I do know that most of the emacs
lisp code I've written is very non-idiomatic and without good
justification.

Please don't look at my elisp code and assume it is sane at all. I'm
looking forward to the day where "git blame -- emacs/*.el" doesn't show
my name at all...

Said another way, please feel free to post improvements for any strange
elisp you see, (C code too, of course).

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com