Strings vs symbols in notmuch-search-result-format

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Sat Sep 11 16:37:55 PDT 2010

I've started to look at the elisp, and wondered why
notmuch-search-result-format expected strings rather than symbols for
the field names, i.e.:

     (("date" . "%s ")
      ("count" . "%-7s ")
      ("authors" . "%-20s ")
      ("subject" . "%s ")
      ("tags" . "(%s)"))

instead of

     ((date . "%s ")
      (count . "%-7s ")
      (authors . "%-20s ")
      (subject . "%s ")
      (tags . "(%s)"))

Perhaps there's a good argument for strings, but if not, the latter is
more idiomatic, and a bit more efficient too (comparisons will just be
pointer compares (via assq) rather than something like a strcmp (assoc)).

In any case, I imagine this might not be something you'd want to change
at this point -- I'm just trying to make sure I understand the current
code.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning