notmuchsync: handling of the deleted tag

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 11 17:27:34 PST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:25:13 -0500, Rob Browning <rlb at defaultvalue.org> wrote:
> Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> writes:
> Conceptually what I'd like for it to do, is reference count -- only mark
> the message deleted if every occurrence (across all maildirs) is marked
> trashed (T).

[I'm going back through this old notmuchsync thread after having worked
to merge and improve some related synchronization featured.]

The above idea sounds quite interesting and would be possible in the
current approach. The only thing I don't like is that we would have some
very detailed knowledge about the semantics of "deleted" hard-coded deep
in the library.

I already don't like the fact that the library has a hard-coded list
with a handful of mappings between flags and tags.

So, what we probably need here is for the user to be able to configure
the mapping and in a fairly sophisticated way:

	'R' on _any_ filename  -> "replied" tag gets added
	'T' on _all_ filenames -> "deleted" tag gets added
	'S' on _any_ filename  -> "unread" tag gets removed

That would be expressible with just a couple of pieces of punctuation:

	R=replied;T*=deleted;S=~unread

So maybe something like that?

> > If notmuch gave me at least all filenames that are associated with a
> > mail id, I could introduce a command line option "--prune --safe"
> > which would

This feature is at least implemented in libnotmuch at least.

Hopefully things just keep getting better and better.

I am looking forward to some feedback from users of notmuchsync who try
out the new maildir.synchronize_flags support in notmuch itself.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com