rfc: improved MIME handling (multipart)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 29 16:58:45 PDT 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 11:33:03 +0100, David Edmondson <dme at dme.org> wrote:
> A (third) attempt at improved MIME handling, specifically for multipart,
> is at:
>    http://github.com/dme/notmuch/tree/mp3
>    git://github.com/dme/notmuch.git (branch 'mp3')

Hi David,

I went to pull this, but I couldn't find satisfactory commit
messages. Things like "multipart: Fix part counting" aren't descriptive
enough for me. What was broken? How was it fixed?

A good test for a bug-fix commit message is "Could a reasonable person
(skilled in the art) read my commit message and confidently create a
test case for my fix?". If not, please add more detail.

As for the non-bug-fix stuff here, similarly I can't tell exactly what
the changes are. I can see from the commit messages that the part
handling is changing. But under what situations does it now behave
differently? If I wanted to stress this to see if it inadvertently
breaks things, how might I do so?

I'd like to have fairly good answers for questions like that from the
commit messages, rather than having to reverse-engineer the answers from
the patches themselves.

Please feel free to resubmit these with some updated commit messages.

Thanks!

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com