Automated testing of emacs interface

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Oct 22 12:17:59 PDT 2010

For some time, I've been hesitant to implement big changes in the emacs
interface since we didn't have any automated testing for this stuff.

I had tried once or twice to implemented automated emacs-notmuch
testing, but I also ran into strange errors when I tried to do "emacs
--batch --funcall notmuch-hello". I just found that problem, (emacs
--batch was strangely operating in a window only 10 columns wide and
bugs in notmuch-hello caused it to fail in a window so narrow). And I've
fixed both of these things now.

So the test suite now has a nice "emacs" script which can be used for
easy testing of the emacs interface. I've only committed a simple test
of notmuch-hello so far, but it will be easy to expand from here, (and
I'll appreciate any help in doing so).

Also, as anyone adds functionality to the emacs code in notmuch, please
also extend the test suite to cover that functionality.

Thanks,

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com