opening attachment

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Tue Oct 5 23:47:18 PDT 2010

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010, Daniel Goldin wrote:
> Resourceful non-programmer looking to open up attachment in external
> application from emacs. The default behavior is to ask me where to save
> the file. Ideally, I'd like to open a .doc, say, in ooffice simply by
> pressing return. Thanks.

Hi,

I do not know the details of attachment handling, but it seems to me
that what happens with the attachment depends on the sender. If the .doc
document is attached as application/octet-stream, then it is saved to
disk. If it is attached as application/msword, then it is open in
openoffice (in my case).

It would be nice if a user could override this, but I do not know how to
do it. Perhaps some elisp guru can tell us.

Bye
-Michal