notmuch synchronization

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Tue Oct 5 23:12:37 PDT 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010, Ethan Glasser-Camp wrote:
> I recently got interested in notmuch again and I wanted to see what the
> current situation is with regard to synchronization -- specifically
> multiple machines each running notmuch, but also notmuch with other
> non-notmuch clients. As far as I can tell, this is "possible" but not
> easy or clean:

> - There's a large number of patches from Michal Sojka, the latest from
> April 2010, about an abstract mailstore interface, towards using Git as
> an object store; Git has really nice distributed properties, in that
> Is there any news with these patches?

Hi Ethan,

unfortunately, there is not much news. I only separate from these
patches the part which synchronizes notmuch tags with maildir flags
(unread, replied, etc.) [1]. It works pretty well and I use it to
synchronize my mails with IMAP server. I think that these pathes are
ready to be merged.

What regards using git to store mails and synchronize tags, I still have
plans to work in this area, but currently I have more important work to
do. However, for me is the lack of synchronization quite painfull, so
this will definitely be the next work I'll do on notmuch.

-Michal

Footnotes:
[1]  http://mid.gmane.org/1273580061-22580-1-git-send-email-sojkam1@fel.cvut.cz