notmuch synchronization

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Tue Oct 5 16:42:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:48:36 -0400, Ethan Glasser-Camp <glasse at cs.rpi.edu> wrote:
> - the message at
> http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/002957.html starts a
> thread about exactly this subject. This seems like the most promising
> approach (using unison to sync mail across all machines, and using
> notmuch dump and notmuch restore to propagate the tag database), but I'm
> a little scared by the note that:

> [deleted]

I don't know about that particular thread, but a few brave souls (well,
maybe just two of us) are using the script at

http://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/?p=notmuch-scripts.git;a=blob_plain;f=scripts/gitmuch

It doesn't use unison, but I suppose you could to sync the messages (if
you really wanted to). The tags are kept in a git repo and dumped and
restored to there.  This definitely is too slow sufficiently large
mailstores/slow machines, but it works for me with about 120k messages
on reasonably current desktops.

No one claims this a great solution, but it works now.