Some Xapian tips and thoughts on rebuilding

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jul 28 05:23:35 PDT 2010

Kan-Ru Chen writes:
> Seems this still does not work as expected.
>
> With the new `notmuch count' command:
>
>      % notmuch count
>      131720
>
> After xapian-compact-1.1
>
>      % notmuch count
>      1001
>
> And a subsequent `notmuch new'
>
>      % notmuch new
>      Processed 6 total files in almost no time.
>      Added 6 new messages to the database.
>
>      % notmuch count
>      A Xapian exception occurred: Value in posting list too large.
>      Query string was:
>      0

Bear in mind Xapian 1.1.x were development versions, and it sounds like you
are using a revision somewhere between 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

If you can reproduce this with 1.2.x (or 1.0.x), I'm happy to investigate.
I'm not sure it's worthwhile to try to isolate a bug in an old development
version - a lot has changed in the last 6+ months.

Cheers,
    Olly