[notmuch] Some Xapian tips and thoughts on rebuilding

Kan-Ru Chen kanru at kanru.info
Tue Jul 27 08:43:23 PDT 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:48:27 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:46:14 +0800, Kan-Ru Chen <kanru at kanru.info> wrote:
> > After compacting my database, the size shrunk significantly, but the
> > number of messages also changed. Beware that you might lose messages
> > after compacting if you are trying this.
> >
> > run on xapian-svn r13824
>
> Yikes. That's very discouraging. I'll try to do some more testing to see
> if I can replicate that, and if so, look closer into what is happening.
>
> -Carl

Seems this still does not work as expected.

With the new `notmuch count' command:

     % notmuch count
     131720

After xapian-compact-1.1

     % notmuch count
     1001

And a subsequent `notmuch new'

     % notmuch new
     Processed 6 total files in almost no time.
     Added 6 new messages to the database.

     % notmuch count
     A Xapian exception occurred: Value in posting list too large.
     Query string was:
     0

- Kanru