The archive operation should only archive open messages

Jesse Rosenthal jrosenthal at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 15 14:18:30 PDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:41:17 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> A bad bug occurs when paging through the thread with the space
> bar. After showing me these few messages, it will then proceed to
> archive *all* the messages in the thread (not only those it showed
> me). And I'm likely to be unaware of this since the closed (but not yet
> archived) messages are not easily distinguished from messages that were
> previously closed and archived.

This actually brings up a behavior that bites me from time to time. I
often mark messages "to-reply", and notmuch colors them red for
me. Then, when I reply to the message, it auto-removes the tag (based on
a message-mode hook I sent to the thread a while back*). I've gotten to
the point where I depend on this behavior.

However, when I have a long thread, and only one message in the inbox,
tagging the thread, of course, tags all the messages in it "to-reply."
Now, the way to do it might be to just change my habits, and only tag
while in show-mode, as opposed to search-mode. But this does seem to be
in conflict with the way I intuitively want to handle my mail, and I
imagine I'm not the only one.

Which is all just to say that I think that archiving is just a special
case of tagging/untagging, and that the issues raised here should be
considered across the larger general case.

[*] id:87pr3iygrx.fsf at jhu.edu