[notmuch] Notmuch command interface

David A Benjamin davidben at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 11 14:52:34 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Ben Gamari wrote:
> While the notmuch command-line interface is fantastic, there defintely are a few
> gaps which hurt performance. Since I've been following, I've seen several
> threads on how to handle message addition and initial tagging[1][2]. I recall
> that some time ago Carl had the idea of applying only a 'new' tag during notmuch
> new. I strongly supported this proposal yet it seems that nothing ever became of
> it. Is there a reason for this? Would a patch be accepted?

To avoid breaking the current behavior, what if the set of tags applied to
new/moved/deleted(?) messages could be set on the command line or some
other library interface, while just perhaps defaulting to unread/inbox?
This would support both the current behavior and a hooks-like workflow
without notmuch itself treating any tags (new, unread, inbox, etc.) as
"special".

David