[notmuch] Problems with Maildir and files moving from new/ to cur/

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Tue Feb 9 09:20:01 PST 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:38:04 -0500, Brett Viren <brett.viren at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use procmail to prefilter mail into various sub groups of a Maildir.
>  This Maildir is served by dovecot IMAP and is also visible to
> notmuch.  I run "notmuch new" followed by "notmuch tag -inbox -unread
> tag:inbox" (I use GNUS to do my reading and don't want these tags in
> the way the few times I run notmuch for reading) every 10 minutes from
> cron.  I often will check my email before the cron job gets a chance
> to run and vice versa.
>
> The problem I have is that this race condition means that sometimes
> notmuch will index a message as being under the Maildir/.<topic>/new/
> subdirectory, I then read it and it is moved to Maildir/.<topic>/cur/
> (I think that is what is happening).  Then when I do a search, notmuch
> returns a file that is no longer around.
>
> This may not be an issue with notmuch, per se, but does anyone have
> any suggestions to make this work more smoothly?

Hi,

I'm afraid that with current version there is no solution for this.
There were some proposals to tell notmuch which files you want to index
and use this functionality to run indexing right on delivery on when a
rename is detected (e.g. by inotify). See
id:1264719647-sup-9540 at ben-laptop for details. AFAIK nobody have sent
patches for this yet.

Cheers,
Michal