[notmuch] Problems with Maildir and files moving from new/ to cur/

Brett Viren brett.viren at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:38:04 PST 2010

Hi,

I use procmail to prefilter mail into various sub groups of a Maildir.
 This Maildir is served by dovecot IMAP and is also visible to
notmuch.  I run "notmuch new" followed by "notmuch tag -inbox -unread
tag:inbox" (I use GNUS to do my reading and don't want these tags in
the way the few times I run notmuch for reading) every 10 minutes from
cron.  I often will check my email before the cron job gets a chance
to run and vice versa.

The problem I have is that this race condition means that sometimes
notmuch will index a message as being under the Maildir/.<topic>/new/
subdirectory, I then read it and it is moved to Maildir/.<topic>/cur/
(I think that is what is happening).  Then when I do a search, notmuch
returns a file that is no longer around.

This may not be an issue with notmuch, per se, but does anyone have
any suggestions to make this work more smoothly?

Thanks,
-Brett.