[notmuch] notmuch.el and searching within citations

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Feb 8 15:01:21 PST 2010

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 06:18:10 +1100, "Bart Bunting" <bart at ursys.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Bart, welcome to notmuch!

> If however the word 'grandfather' appears in a citation then an incremental
> search through the buffer won't find it.
>
> If the citation is expanded then things work as expected.
>
> I don't think this is very logical behavior as it stands, having to expand
> each citation to be able to search in it appears to sort of defeat the
> search.

I agree 100%.

There's good support in emacs for doing what we want here. There are
variables to control what happens when a search terminates (or
temporarily matches) invisible text. And one of the possible behaviors
is for the invisible region to be made visible (and that perhaps
temporarily if the search doesn't terminate in the invisible region).

So we just need to play with things a bit to turn that behavior on.

I've made a note in the TODO file so that I won't (permanently) forget
about this feature request. Of course, I'd be quite glad if anyone had
the time and inclination to investigate.

-Carl