[notmuch] notmuch.el and searching within citations

Bart Bunting bart at ursys.com.au
Fri Jan 8 11:18:10 PST 2010

Hi all,

I am having a little bit of trouble with notmuch.el, I'm not sure if I'm
just not understanding how it works or if there is an actual issue.

The problem is that if I search for a word, lets say grandfather using 's'
from the notmuch buffer a list of messages is returned correctly that
contain the word.

Next I hit enter on the thread I want to read.

Then I use 'c-s' to search forward through the buffer for the word
'grandfather'.

Provided that the word is in a non citation part of the buffer all works as
expected.

If however the word 'grandfather' appears in a citation then an incremental
search through the buffer won't find it.

If the citation is expanded then things work as expected.

I don't think this is very logical behavior as it stands, having to expand
each citation to be able to search in it appears to sort of defeat the
search.

Ideally I would like to be able to search forward and if the word was in a
citation to have it automagicaly expand for me.

Alternatively Just having point land on the citation would be enough to let
me know there was something inside I may want to read.

What do others think?

Regards

Bart