[notmuch] A functional (but rudimentary) test suite for notmuch

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Feb 4 15:29:27 PST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:27:52 +0000, Oliver Charles <oliver.g.charles at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Carl, have you considered outputting the test suite in the same format
> as the test anything protocol? [1] I only mention this because it
> might be a nice way to easily do some reporting (or perhaps even
> continuous integration) notmuch, with trivial effort.
> [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Anything_Protocol

No, I hadn't considered that. But perhaps because I wasn't at all aware
of TAP.

It looks like it would be quite trivial to switch to an output format
like that if somebody had something they'd like to hook the notmuch test
suite up to, (but I wouldn't likely switch before).

Looking at TAP, one thing I don't like is that it prints the
success/failure of the test first, before the description of the
test. That's not so nice in the case of a long-running (perhaps
infinitely running) test where you might need to interrupt it, but you'd
still want to know *what* was running for so long.

-Carl