[notmuch] New wiki instance on the notmuchmail.org website

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 3 08:47:41 PST 2010

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:40:51 +0100, Marten Veldthuis <marten at veldthuis.com> wrote:
> Carl, I'm getting
>
>   To git://notmuchmail.org/git/notmuch-wiki
>    ! [remote rejected] master -> master (pre-receive hook declined)

Oh, I'm very glad to hear that! (Though sorry that you are having
difficulties.) I had tried to verify that the pre-receive hook was
active, but I failed.

> upon pushing. Some part of the "without any authentication" is not
> working, I suspect. :)

What's going on is that the pre-receive hook is verifying that any given
push isn't doing anything "bad" according to what's configured in the
wiki. So the fix here is probably just for me to configure the wiki to
tell it that what you're doing isn't actually "bad". Perhaps you're
adding a new page or something, and I haven't configured in that ability
yet?

See this page for details (particularly the "security" and
"infelicities" sections):

	http://ikiwiki.info/tips/untrusted_git_push/

The infelicity we have here is that with git-daemon we don't get the actual
error message from the pre-receive hook to tell us what it doesn't
like. Perhaps I should setup a public user that can push via ssh...

In the meantime, if you (or anyone else) can simply email me any commits
that the pre-receive hook doesn't like, then I can figure out how to fix
the ikiwiki configuration to allow them.

Thanks,

-Carl