[notmuch] Git feature branch

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Wed Jan 27 11:19:54 PST 2010

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:24:15 +1300, micah anderson <micah at riseup.net> wrote:
> Couldn't all of this be done without moving the existing git repository
> (don't forget that transition is a cost)? Those who wish to put together
> these proposed branches go ahead and do so, publishing those wherever
> they like (git.debian.org, gitorious, their own hosted git repositories,
> or even github) and then Carl can just add those as remotes as he sees
> fit.

I second this idea.  I've been working on quite a few projects that work
in this way, with nothing but personal distributed repos, and it works
quite well.  Especially if Carl is going to continue to be benevolent
dictator (as I agree that he should).  Everyone who has patches can just
post them to their personal repos, making sure that they're well rebased
to Carl's master, and Carl can just pull from them as he sees fit.  It's
what git is designed to do, and it actually works really well.

jamie.