[notmuch] Thoughts on notmuch and Lua

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jan 15 12:45:29 PST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:16:00 +1300, martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> wrote:
> Lua for hooks has the advantage that the hooks can be executed in
> the context of manipulateable objects. On the other hand, hooks in
> the style of run-parts directories are more flexible and accessible,
> and could always be invoked as filters for the manipulateable data.

Good point.

One thing that notmuch has in its favor already is that there's a
command-line interface that provides all of the interesting
functionality. So it's already a fairly trivial matter to "hook" things
like "notmuch new" by writing a script in whatever language you prefer
to invoke things like "notmuch search" and "notmuch tag".

And that's what I'm doing already, (with a shell script), to tag
newly-arrived messages.

The only part that's really missing here is a directory where scripts
could be dropped in and get automatically invoked.

What do you think, Ali? Would an approach like that satisfy the things
you had in mind for hooks?

-Carl