[notmuch] Thoughts on notmuch and Lua

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Jan 14 16:16:00 PST 2010

also sprach Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> [2010.01.15.1200 +1300]:
> > Lua has many advantages over other scripting languages when it
> > comes to integration with a C program. It has a very clean and
> > easy C API, the overhead of running Lua scripts is not noticable
> > among other things.
>
> I've definitely heard lots of good things about "lua
> embedability". So if we do decide to provide hooks, then lua would
> seem like a logical option to look at first. I've never looked at
> it closely myself though.

Lua for hooks has the advantage that the hooks can be executed in
the context of manipulateable objects. On the other hand, hooks in
the style of run-parts directories are more flexible and accessible,
and could always be invoked as filters for the manipulateable data.

"imagine if every thursday your shoes exploded if you
 tied them the usual way. this happens to us all the time
 with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
                                                        -- jeff raskin

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net