[notmuch] update on delete/rename support

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Dec 26 10:06:24 PST 2009

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:12:09 -0400, David Bremner <bremner at unb.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:21:15 -0500, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> > Hey, folks.  I was wondering if there was an update on getting support
> > for mail deleting and moving/renaming into notmuch.  I wanted to try to
> > push on it a little bit since I believe that support for deleting/moving
> > messages is the most important outstanding issue at the moment.
>
> As far as I know Carl is working away on this.

Yes. I've got a series of about 20 commits reworking the internals a
bit, and then one patch past that that I still need to break down into
several clean commits.

I think I've got things working now to cleanly detect file deletion. And
the only bug that I *know* is still there is a performance bug, (it's
somehow spending time doing something silly with known messages when it
should just march along and only do real work with new and deleted
files).

Anyway, I hope to have something to actually publish early next
week. Please forgive me for not sharing more as I go along here. The
patches change the storage within the database, so one could be left in
a very unpleasant state if using patches that don't match the database
storage that we'll be using in the end.

-Carl