[notmuch] update on delete/rename support

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Sat Dec 26 08:12:09 PST 2009

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:21:15 -0500, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> Hey, folks.  I was wondering if there was an update on getting support
> for mail deleting and moving/renaming into notmuch.  I wanted to try to
> push on it a little bit since I believe that support for deleting/moving
> messages is the most important outstanding issue at the moment.

As far as I know Carl is working away on this.

In the meantime, I am using Mikhail Gusarov's patch

    id:1259788526-14205-1-git-send-email-dottedmag at dottedmag.net

It is not perfect performance-wise, and iirc, it only deals with
renames, but it does let me use notmuch as my main mail reader.  You may
have to wrap your "notmuch new" call in a "notmuch save", "notmuch
restore" pair if you discover things coming back to your inbox. This is
less onerous if you use my "lazy restore" patch.

    id:1260310063-11731-1-git-send-email-david at tethera.net

The whole dump-maildirsync-new-restore cycle takes about 30s for me
check mail, a bit longer if there is actually new mail.

David