[notmuch] keeping a copy of sent mail locally

Alex Ghitza aghitza at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 02:08:22 PST 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:51:05 +0100, asjo at koldfront.dk (Adam =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sj=F8gren?=) wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:31:13 -0500, Jameson wrote:
>
> > There must be a way to tell emacs message-mode to save a copy of
> > outgoing mail locally. Mutt does this with it's Fcc commands (ie.
> > "file carbon copy"). I think we should look for a solution like this.
>
> Gnus uses Gcc for this (see gnus-message-archive-group and
> gnus-message-archive-method); I think message.el also supports Fcc; eg.
> see message-fcc-handler-function:

Adam, thanks for the info on the message-fcc-handler-function.  I'll try
to get something working based on this.  There are two questions of
design now:

1. where should the file be saved?  I'm thinking of a new setting in
$NOTMUCH_CONFIG, along the lines of sentmail_path=...
Should there be a default if this is not set, e.g. a subdirectory "sent"
of the directory given in the config variable "path"?

2. of course, filenames need to be unique.  Do we want/have to follow
the maildir file naming conventions listed at
http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html
or is it enough to use the Emacs lisp make-temp-file?

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/