[notmuch] keeping a copy of sent mail locally

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sun Dec 20 10:31:13 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 07:22:55PM +0100, Marten Veldthuis wrote:
> There's a message-send-hook, which we should probably use. Something
> like:
>
>   (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'notmuch-always-bcc-sender)
>   (defun notmuch-always-bcc-sender ()
>     (message-add-header (concat "Bcc: "
>                                 (message-fetch-field "From"))))
>
> Though I've just scrabbled this together from the docs, I think it
> should work (haven't tried it though).

Hi, folks.  I've been following this thread a bit and I wanted to put
in my argument that using Bcc is *NOT* the way to save local copies of
sent mail.  I really don't think that we need to require that the mail
actually get send out to the world wide net just to save a copy of it
locally.  I think there must be better ways of doing this.

There must be a way to tell emacs message-mode to save a copy of
outgoing mail locally.  Mutt does this with it's Fcc commands
(ie. "file carbon copy").  I think we should look for a solution
like this.

I definitely want to save copies of all of my outgoing mail locally,
but I think that doing that with Bcc is the wrong way to do it.

jamie.