[notmuch] Threading

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Dec 10 09:39:48 PST 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 16:21:34 -0700, Mark Anderson <markr.anderson at amd.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there's a way in notmuch to group un-associated
> threads into a single thread.

There's certainly nothing like that in notmuch currently.

Sup had user-level functionality in the interface for stitching messages
into a single thread, and I definitely think that that doesn't make any
sense.

> I have a bug tracking system that doesn't give me emails that thread naturally in notmuch.

I've seen similar things. Bugzilla emails at least all group into a
single thread in notmuch, but don't get nested correctly at all, and
that's really annoying.

> I wouldn't mind writing a filter that could help identify a thread id
> which should apply to a message, and suggest that to notmuch.

I think the right answer here is to fix the input that notmuch is
getting. Just ensure that each message has a proper In-Reply-To header
and all should be fine. If you can't fix the bug-tracking system to emit
proper email, can you apply your filter and rewrite the message as part
of delivery (before notmuch sees it)?

-Carl